MFT Community Forum

Share your images and your experience with your MicroFourThirds gear.
Join this independent Community and register now!

Compact Everyday Carry

I've been a M4/3 user since the G3 in 2011.

This year I finally made the move to full frame with the S5ii. I think it's fantastic, but l've missed that compact everyday carry option.

While X100's and GR3's are the hot new compacts, the prices are a bit scary, not to mention availability...

So l decided to show some love to an old favourite that has been tucked away in a cupboard during my G9 years.

IMG_8069.jpeg

The GX7 fits the bill for me. It's compact and I think pretty stylish.

I'm going to stick to smaller lenses just to keep things simple. I'm thinking 20mm f1.7, 12-60mm f3.5-f5.6 and the Olympus 45mm f1.8.

I'm really looking forward to getting out there and finding some inspiration!

Do you have favourite compact body/lens combos?

Add a comment

That is a nice one. I never used it. My smallest compact every day cameras (beside my Ricoh GR3 and GR3x) is the Lumix GM5. That is the one with the viewfinder and 16MP. Lovely. I have it in red. Can not take a picture atm, so here is one of a black one.

panasonic-gm5.jpg

Nice! I just bought a used gx80 out of the same reasons and use it with 20mm f1.7 and ef glas i have for the l-mount use. There is a fairly small canon 35mm f2.0 and 85mm f1.8. And tamron 11-20mm f2.8 (which is not small). They all work via the viltrox adater and achieve magical numbers through this. E.g. 120mm equiv f1.3.
I am tempted to buy a pana/leica 15mm f1.7. And want to buy for my daughter mainly the 12-32 kit zoom. I have also the 12-60mm f3.5-5.6 but want to sell it to refinance the others. And am left with a 14-140mm for failsafe.

I had the GX80 in the past too.
if you like primes, the best primes for the buck are:

15/1.7
25/1.7
42.5/1.7

All three are extremely small and light and except for the Leica very affordable. Especially second hand. The 12-32 Kit lens is good, but with the aperture there is no joy if you want to achieve shallow DOF.

Back